Random Generation > Brainstorming > Experiment 1 > Experiment 2 > Experiment 3

USING AUDIO AS A DATA SOURCE
The idea of using sound as a data source seemed interesting to me. I initially thought about finding the loudest/quietest points, looking at pitch etc, but ultimately discovered that by using the Beat Finder in Audacity, I'd end up with some allocated points, from which I could get a time-stamp from, resulting in a numerical output.

I was mulling up how to define when to do my audio recording on my way to the bus stop after the class, thinking maybe I'd keep my eye open for signs, when I noticed a building called 'Wavelength International'.

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 5.23.59 PM.png

The correlation with sound waves was enough of a sign for me, so I pulled out my phone and pressed record. As my bus was pulling up, I got on the bus with the audio recording, and kept it recording until the first stop light.

The audio I recorded:


I then imported this audio into Audacity, and applied the Beat Finder analyser to it. This brought up many 'beat instances', which I logged based on timestamp, with the timing option set to seconds.

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 6.09.32 PM.png

This generated the following list of numbers:

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 6.55.47 PM.png

In deciding how to use these numbers, I played with a few ideas:
- isbn (didn't capture my imagination)
- coordinates (maybe not interesting enough)
- IP address (tried this and it didn't work, too many numbers don't deliver results)
- Google book search (also didn't really work very well due to not all books being available in full)

Ultimately I chose to turn the numbers into letters, and input them into a word generator.

In order to generate some kind of searchable word, I added each number within itself (ie 31.33 = 3+1+3+3=8). I then correlated the resulting numbers to letters of the alphabet:

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 6.52.56 PM.png

Resulting in the following letters:

HLQSMRIIS

I decided to input these into a letter sorter to keep things random. I also added to letter 'U' to allow for the use of the 'Q'.

https://www.word-generator.net/


The first, and longest word to come up through this process was the word 'SQUIRMS'
Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 7.07.26 PM.png


And so the word for the basis of my experiments is SQUIRMS.
That's all folks!

Next > Brainstorming